This year I signed up for the Reddit Pokemon Gift Exchange. The idea was to recreate the mural which appears in Season 1, Episode 2, around the 8:10 mark.

I started with imagemagick, getting the screenshot into a useful state.

Original screenshot
Original screenshot
Cleaned up with a grid
Cleaned up with a grid

Then I traced each legend onto 1/4” plywood, and glued it into another sheet to give some kind of layering effect.

Tracing
Traced and cut
Glueing
Glued for topography

There are many things I am not very good at, and artistry is on that list. I’ve never done anything like this before, and spent a lot of time at Michael’s figuring out what kind of paint I’m supposed to use. Well, here’s the finished product. I used acrylic paints and sponges for the large areas, and a $1 crayola brush from Target for the borders and features.

Finished product
Finished product

For a sense of scale, it is three feet tall and four feet long. With packaging, it just barely fits in the trunk of my car.

Shipped
Shipping cost more than the supplies.

Fortunately, it survived the trip from Pittsburgh to Missouri. My randomly-matched gift-receiver and his wife and corgis were very happy to receive it.